Welcome to the Fang

This is a blog dedicated to my wargaming hobby in particular collecting, painting and gaming with Space Wolves. I hope to show you theprogress of my newly purchased Space Wolf army as I paint and play.

I have decided to base my Great Company on that of Wolf Lord Erik Morkai. I see so many Ragnar companies around I wanted to try something a little different. Who better then a Wold Lord named after the Guardians of the gates of death who has a twin brother called Irnist the Wise! Morkai and Wise anyone?

I hope to include painting progress, battle reports and my general thought on all things Space Wolves or all things 40k.

Hope you enjoy this blog.

Bradimus Prime

Tuesday 8 December 2009

1000 Point List

I have a tournament coming up in February which is a 1000 points, four games in one day. I am using this as motivation to get my first 1000 points of Space Wolves painted up. So over the last few weeks I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out a decent list, do I want a speedy list? rocking firepower? or something with bits of everything?

Then it hit me, what about something that can be the basis for my 1500 point army? Get the first 1000 points painted up and ready and then add whatever I want to add afterwards. Well that seems a pretty simple choice so far, Grey Hunters. I want at least three troop choices and from my experience so far Grey Hunters are the weapon of choice. I think two full squads will be a nice starting point. They need Wolf Guards as leaderhship 8 is a bit iffy and an extra powerfist attack is always nice.

So we have two units of Grey Hunters led by a Wolf Guard a piece, they need a Rhino to get about easily and Meltaguns to bust open armour and take down big nasty gribblies. Mark of the Wulfen is a must have along with a Wolf Banner. This gives me :-

9 Grey Hunters
Powerfist
Mark of Wulfen
Wolf Banner
Rhino
Wolf Guard
Powerfist
Combi Melta

This unit will steamroll most things, five powerfist attack on the charge backed up by Mark of the Wulfen and a Wolf Banner re rolling all those 1's I manage to roll. Nice! Me thinks I'll have two of them.

For my HQ I want a Rune Priest with Living lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf. This guy is going to sit back and snipe with Living Lightning and if any big gribblies stray too close they get the Jaws treatment. So thats the HQ sorted and two troop choices, now I need to fill out the list a bit.

Well I said I wanted three troop choices didnt I? I need something to sit and hold home objectives but I dont want to break the bank. Lets say 5 Grey Hunters in a Razorback with Lascannons. This unit can sit back and provide fire support popping transports and light armour whilst providing a unit for the Rune Priest to sit in.

Ok I have my HQ and three troop choices who can pretty much deal with any situation. Do I add fire support or some sort of hard hitting unit? The two Grey Hunter packs can assault the crap out of things so I dont need any more assault units. What I am lacking at the minute is Long Range firepower. I think theres is only one option for this choice, Long Fangs.

So far the old boys have proven very effective for me in the games I've played so they have earned a spot in the list. Six Long Fangs and five Missile Launchers will do nicely, 48" range anti tank or anti horde and dirt cheap to boot! lets see what the list looks like.

HQ
Rune Priest
Terminator Armour
Meltabombs
Living Lightning
Jaws of the World Wolf

Troops

9 Grey Hunters
Powerfist
Mark of the Wulfen
Meltagun
Rhino
Wolf Guard
Powerfist
Combi melta

9 Grey Hunters
Powerfist
Mark of the Wulfen
Meltagun
Rhino
Wolf Guard
Powerfist
Combi Melta

5 Grey Hunters
Wolf Guard
Powerfist
Combimelta
Meltagun
Razorback
Twin Linked Lascannons

6 Long Fangs
5 Missile Launchers

Total 999

2 comments:

  1. Ok looking at the list Brad the 1st thing that jumps out at me is your Rune Priest been in the Razorback unit. This means they have to get out for him to cast his powers but in doing so you loose the protection and mobility of the Razorback.

    Not good tbh.

    Putting him a Rhino on the other hand allows you to cast powers out of the firepoint. Much better.

    How about this:

    Runepriest - 100

    3 Wolfguard: Powerfists, Combi-Meltas - 129

    8 Greyhunters: Melta, Powerfist, Wulfen, Banner - 175
    + Rhino -35

    8 Greyhunters: Melta, Powerfist, Wulfen, Banner - 175
    + Rhino - 35

    8 Greyhunters: Melta, Powerfist, Wulfen, Banner - 175
    + Rhino - 35

    6 Longfangs: 5 Missile Launchers - 140

    Total = 999

    Ok so it is a bit cut'n'paste but Greyhunters are very good utility troops so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking the look of it, plenty of Melta and powerfist action. The Grey Hunters are really proving to be an awesome troop choice and allthose upgrades are worth taking for a change.

    ReplyDelete